The Expats: A Novel

The Expats: A Novel - Chris Pavone I wasn't sure what to expect when I got this book in the mail. I'm not usually a spy novel reader, but I am always open to try a new author. The Expats was an enjoyable book. It dragged in some spots, but the overall story was pretty good. The end was very good. I never would have figured out the whole scenario on my own. It was that convoluted. The book goes between "now" and 2 years earlier as Kate and her family make the move to Luxembourg and become expats. There are a lot of twists and turns in the book and you never know who to trust, including Kate. You see, she is a former CIA agent who has been living a double life.

I liked it, but I didn't really care too much for Kate. I thought she was a bit whiny. It felt like all she did was complain about being stuck home with 2 little boys. Yes, you used to lead an exciting undercover life, but this is the choice you made. If you are that bored, volunteer. Find some consulting to do. I also thought that she was a bit naive when it came to her husband. I know that she had made a vow never to investigate him, but how can you be married to someone and not know where they work or who they work for? That would have raised HUGE alarm bells with me right away and I am not a former CIA agent. That wasn't what I would have expected from someone with that background and seemed off to me.

I listened to the audio and I thought it was very well done. I enjoyed the narrator. One final note: Most people play LEGOS (plural) not Lego. Read it and see if that drove you as nuts as it did me.