Die for Me

Die for Me - Amy Plum As with any debut author, you never know what you are going to get when you open to the first page. Ms. Plum has written an engaging first novel that sucked me right in from the start. Kate and her sister, Georgia, have moved to Paris to live with their grandparents after the death of their parents. There, Kate meets Vincent and his friends. The attraction is strong from the start, yet Kate has her reservations about Vincent. He almost seems too good to be true. What she learns about him and his friends changes her whole life.

I really liked Kate's character. She is almost 17, yet she has a maturity that a lot of teens in YA novels don't have today. I liked that she was cautious about starting a relationship with Vincent, especially once she finds out the truth about him and his life. Instead of taking everything at face value and rushing into something with him, she admits that she has reservations and steps back for a while. That really sat well with me.

Die For Me has a unique take on the risen dead. The kin joke about being zombies, but they aren't really. They can age, but once they die again they "reset" back to the original age they were when they first died. They also don't eat human flesh or brains. (Thankfully!) I look forward to knowing more about the revenants and what causes them. I also hope that the next books explores why Vincent and Kate seem to have a unique bond that hasn't been seen in other revenants and their human loves. This is the first in a trilogy, so I hope these themes are expanded on in future books.

I really enjoyed this book. I think it would be fine for any YA reader. There is really nothing graphic and the romance is pretty mild. There is even talk about waiting for the "main event" and just taking the time to get to know and enjoy one another. Given the age of the main characters, I thought this was a plus.