Home for the Holidays

Home for the Holidays - Johanna Lindsey, Laural Merlington It has been a long time since I read a Johanna Lindsay novel. I used to read them secretly in my senior year in high school as a secret indulgence. I know I used to think that she was really racy, but this one was pretty mild. Vincent Everett is bent on revenge against a man who he thinks caused his brother to kill himself. He evicts the man's family and upon seeing the daughter, Larissa, he decides to give them a place in his home and seduce her. At this point, Vincent wasn't scoring high marks with me.

Overall, I'm not sure I liked this story all that much. I'm not sure Vincent ever really redeemed himself in the end. He was supposed to be a smart man, but instead of fully investigating his brother's death and his business, he let emotion get in the way. Even though he knows his brother had always been a screw up. I thought that Larissa was just a bit naive. I felt no compassion for her after she basically gives up her virginity to a man she barely knows and then is upset to discover he has no intention of marrying her. I did feel she was justified in hating him once she finds out his real motives for taking her in. I can't say that it was something I would have easily forgiven.

I listened to the audio version of the book. I did enjoy the narrator, Laural Merlington, and it was a very quick "listen". If you missed this one,try it out. You might like it more than me.