Born To Darkness

Born To Darkness  - Suzanne Brockmann, Patrick G. Lawlor, Melanie Ewbank Born to Darkness starts a new series by Suzanne Brockmann. It is several years in the future and things have changed in the world. The government has gone corporate, people have developed psychic abilities and a new drug is on the street that turns ordinary people into monsters. The Obermeyer Institute has put together a team to try to rid the streets of destiny. I listened to the audio and I loved the alternating voices of Patrick Lawlor and Melanie Ewbank.

This was a fun book. I really enjoyed the characters in this new world. Although, I felt like there were too many romances crammed into one story. Even though I loved the relationship between Diaz and Elliot, I felt a little cheated because it was kind of rushed a bit. I would have liked it to build more, maybe in their own story. As for the main couple, I loved Shane! His back story can be read in the novella, Shane's Last Stand, but I didn't think it is really necessary to read it before this book. He is funny, smart and very much a navy seal. I thought he was a great match for Mac. I loved how he kept calling her Michelle even though it pissed her off. They were great together and I could understand her reluctance to believe that his feelings for her were real given her ability to make men fall for her. But in the end, I was glad to see that she finally gave into her feelings. I also liked that he wasn't a "greater-than" as I thought his being a navy seal made him powerful enough.

As for the third romance in the book, we only get a glimpse of what I hope will carry over into the next one. I am rooting for Bach and Anna. Having said that, my biggest complaint about the book was Anna's reaction to Bach when it was discovered that it was Nika who raised his psychic levels and not her. After everything that they had been through, did she really think that he would remotely think about a 14YO in that way? Aside from the ick factor, it just seemed odd to me and a set up for part of the conflict for the next book. I just didn't buy it. I thought it came out of left field and I really hope that it gets resolved in the next book.

I liked the world that Ms. Brockmann has created. The psychic aspects were pretty interesting. I hope in future books she will go more into how the world became this way.. This book has more than romance, it has a lot of action and intrigue. I definitely recommend it and look forward to the next in the series.