Unbeautifully Loved

Unbeautifully Loved - Emma Grayson I was engaged with this story from the first page. I was intrigued by the prologue and wanted to know more about Lexie. Lexie is running from an abusive boyfriend who happens to be the father of her son. Her friend Mollie is helping her out. They settle in a small town and finally start feeling a little safe until Lexie starts getting anonymous presents. For the most part, I enjoyed the book. The mystery was pretty good. I liked the twist in the end. I thought I had it figured out when I really didn't. The love scenes were well written and definitely steamy. I liked that Lexie's son was acted and sounded his age.

There were a few things that bothered me about the story. Lexie just kept making stupid moves all over the place. When Lukas saves Lexie from almost being raped, he never tells her he is a cop, yet she gets into the car with him for a ride home. Also, once she starts getting weird packages and letters, she keeps insisting that they aren't from her ex. When she knows she is in danger, she insists on leaving the house to go to the store. None of these things seemed like the reaction of someone who had been through years of abuse and months on the run from said abuser. While I am all for a good strong alpha, I really felt like she might be trading one controlling man for another. I would have thought knowing what Lexie had been through Lukas would back off a little. The ending felt rushed to me. I think I would have liked to see Lexie be more independent before moving in with Lukas and getting pregnant again.

As I said, I did enjoy the story overall and I think it is worth reading. I am intrigued to read Kane's story in Unbearable Guilt which comes out later this year.