Up at Butternut Lake

Up at Butternut Lake - Mary McNear Up at Butternut Lake is the first in a new trilogy by debut author, Mary McNear. It was a really good book and I read it very quickly because I was sucked right in to Allie and Walker's story. It's heartwarming, heartbreaking and endearing all at the same time. I could help but fall in love with both characters. Allie lost her husband in the war overseas and had moved back to her family cabin to try to make a fresh start for her and her son. What she didn't count on was having a new and tempting neighbor to make things complicated.

Allie and Walker in a way were both kind of going through similar experiences when they met. They both had things to work out before they could totally commit to the other. Allie had to learn to let go of her grief for her husband and work through the feeling that she was betraying him with another man. Walker hadn't ever really resolved things with his divorce and the loss of his baby. I found myself rooting for them to be able to make things work. I really liked that their relationship wasn't an inst-love type of thing. I thought the emotions and doubts that each of them had were very realistic and made me believe it more.

The other characters in the book rounded out the story nicely. The only thing I didn't like was the story-line with Jax, Jeremy and her ex, Bobby. I felt like that was unnecessary to the book and felt like filler. While the hurt from the lies was heartbreaking, it was just too rushed for me and didn't fit in well.

This is a great debut novel by Ms. McNear and I can't wait to see what she comes up with in the future. The next book, Butternut Summer comes out in August. I look forward to revisiting Butternut Lake again soon!