Until There Was You: A Loveswept Contemporary Military Romance

Until There Was You: A Loveswept Contemporary Military Romance - Jessica Scott Because I loved the first book, I dove right into Until There Was You (Loveswept, October 2012). While I liked it, I didn't like it as much as the first book. I think it may be the timeline for the book. It takes place over a much shorter time period than the first one (about a week). Even though Claire and Evan have known each other from working together for a number of years, I didn't feel the connection as much. I felt Evan was more invested in the relationship than Claire was. She just came across as a bit cold to me. I was able to warm up to her in the end.

The rest of the story was well written. I liked the glimpse into the war readiness training. I felt like it was pretty realistic given the author's background. I was bothered at the number of people who looked the other way on Reza's clear alcoholism. While I understand their loyalty to a war hero, they weren't doing him or fellow soldiers any favors by allowing him to be so self destructive. I was happy to see him man up and do the right thing in the end.

Because of You ended in a sort of cliffhanger, so I was a little disappointed to see that Until There Was You didn't have the same characters in it. Nor did it address some of the unanswered questions from the first book. Given that, both books can be read as stand alone novels. I'm hoping she will wrap some of the loose ends up in the third book, Back to You, scheduled to come out next year.