Dracula in Love

Dracula in Love - Karen Essex I have long been a fan of Bram Stoker's Dracula. So, when I was given the opportunity to read this book, I was excited to read Ms. Essex's take on the classic horror story. Dracula in Love is a sensual and erotic look into the relationship between Mina Harker and The Count. The premise is that Mina wants to tell the public what really happened. According to her, the story that was published by the "redheaded man" was not in anyway the true story. Here we find out more about why Dracula is obsessed with Mina and how that obsession has affected her whole life. The author explores a whole new side of Mina. I thought Mina was a much more interesting character in this book than in the original.

I also enjoyed the glimpse into the world of psychiatry in the late 1800s. Women who went against the Victorian views and wanted to explore their very natural and healthy sexual appetites were subjected to unspeakable torture. They were thought to be hysterical or crazy and needed to be cured. This part of the book had me cringing at times!

While I really enjoyed the book, I did think that it dragged a bit in a few places in the beginning. I am glad I stuck it out. I definitely recommend Dracula in Love. I think that fans of Gothic vampire tales with enjoy it was well.