Dogs Don't Lie: A Pru Marlowe Pet Noir

Dogs Don't Lie: A Pru Marlowe Pet Noir - Clea Simon Pru is a psychic who can hear animals thoughts. She has also been working toward her animal behaviorist degree when her gift showed up. One of her clients is murdered and she feels she must prove the dog didn't do it. I listened to the audiobook and at first I wasn't sure I was going to like it. The narrator's transition from Pru to animal was not always apparent to me. Once I got used to the very subtle difference in the narrator's voice for Pru and the one for animals, it went much more smoothly. I'm glad that I stuck with it. The mystery itself was a surprise. There are multiple suspects and I thought I had it figured out when the author threw in a twist at the end. That made me like it even more.

I liked the Pru and her ability to listen and talk to animals. I often wonder what my cat is saying to me. Wallis is amusing and in a way her best friends and confidant. One thing I had an issue with is that her cat seems to be the only one with whom she can have a full conversation. With all of the other animals, she must communicate using pictures and images in her mind. This is never fully explained or explored as the story mainly focused on the murder. I hope that in future books, the reason for the appearance of her ability and her strong connection to Wallis is explored further. I would also love to see it become stronger over time.

I do recommend this one. It was a quick "read" and I know animal and mystery lovers will enjoy it.