The Forgotten Seamstress

The Forgotten Seamstress - Liz Trenow I was really surprised by The Forgotten Seamstress. I wasn't sure if I was going to like the book. I loved it. I was totally engaged and sped through Maria and Caroline’s stories. I don’t want to give away too much of the plot because there are a few surprises in this book. But the story waffles between two stories. Through recorded interviews from the 1970s, Maria Romano tells of her time as a seamstress in Buckingham palace, a secret affair with the Prince of Wales, and her forced commitment to a mental institution for over 20 years. Maria’s story was so heartbreaking, yet very bittersweet in the end. My heart just broke for her as she told her story.

Caroline, in the present, discovers a gorgeous quilt with exquisite embroidery hidden in her grandmother’s things. She embarks on a hunt for clues to the maker of the quilt as she also navigates what she wants to do with her life and how to care for her mother as her mother’s memory fades with Alzheimer’s. Her decision in the end regarding the quilt was just so perfect and right! Being an avid embroiderer, I loved the description of the quilt. The fabrics and delicate stitches were described with such vivid detail that I had a perfect image in my mind as to what it looked like. I only wish that the quilt was real so that I could see it in real life.

I definitely recommend this wonderful story. The ending alone left me with such a good feeling. I know that this will make it into my top 10 of 2014. I look forward to reading more from Ms. Trenow.