Grave Mercy

Grave Mercy - Robin LaFevers Grave Mercy was nothing like I thought it would be. For some reason, I was thinking it would be more of a dystopian book. What I got instead was a historical novel with mythology, intrigue and a sweet romance. While it did drag a bit in parts, I was glad I stuck it out. I ended up really enjoying the overall story. I will admit that in the beginning, I didn't care for Ismae. While I felt badly for her situation, I was a little taken aback at her eagerness to kill people. I was hoping that I would come to like her in the end and I was happy that I wasn't disappointed.

The love story turned out to be sweet and wasn't annoying in the way that so many YA book romances are. In fact, it is pretty subtle and is one of the things that helps to guide Ismae into seeing things differently. I have mixed feelings about this book being classified as YA. While there is really no explicit sexual content, some of the other subject matter is a bit adult in nature. Given the time period of the book, the reader shouldn't be appalled at the prospect of a 13 YO being married off, but it still is a bit disturbing. I would probably leave this one for the over 16 crowd. I look forward to the next in the series!