Help for the Haunted

Help for the Haunted - John Searles Help for the Haunted was nothing like I expected it to be. From the first page, I was sucked right into the story and it kept me guessing until the end. The solution to the mystery came out of nowhere and surprised me. I was totally on the wrong track. I love when that happens. Thinking back on the book though, I could see how the story was leading up to it. I was just too engrossed in the story to figure it out. The book is beautifully written and well thought out with things being revealed at just the right pace. It's part ghost story and part mystery. I loved it!

It's kind of a hard book to review because I don't want to give anything away. There are too many surprises that would ruin the ending if I gave a hint of them. The story toggles between the past and present as Sylvie tries to make sense of what happened the night her parents died. There are too many questions about that night and if she has fingered the wrong killer, she must make things right. In her reflections on the past, she discovers things about her parents and sister that are shocking and upsetting. Every family has secrets and hidden truths. I was really rooting for Sylvie to find out all of the answers.

I definitely recommend this book. It's unique, surprising and definitely will be in my top 10 this year!