Murder as a Fine Art

Murder as a Fine Art - David Morrell For the most part, I enjoyed Murder as a Fine Art. I was initially sucked into the story from that first few pages. The killer goes on his spree and massacres a family, including the baby. I knew I was in for a dark and disturbing killer. Then it got a bit slow for me. I didn't like the historical fact parts of the book. I kind of felt like I was getting a history lesson and that slowed the flow of the book. When the book was just dealing with the fictional story, I enjoyed it a lot more. The author was able to really convey the dark and depressing time that Victorian London could be.

I liked the way the author injected passages from Emily's diary so that the reader got her point of view on some of the events. She was a great character who went against the conventional views of the time. There is a lot of action in the book, especially at the end. The killer and his motives weren't easy to pinpoint. I was also a bit surprised at his ultimate plans for London that were revealed in the end. I didn't see that coming. The book is overall a good solid mystery that will keep you guessing until the end.