Mother, Mother

Mother, Mother - Koren Zailckas As I read Mother, Mother, I don't think my stomach relaxed for a minute. Josephine is like Mommy Dearest on crack. She would give Joan Crawford a run for her money. The sad part of this story, is that so many people around and within the family are too wrapped up in their own stuff to really see what Josephine was like. Her abuse of her children was not physical alone. The head games she played with them are sickening. The characters were realistically portrayed. We have the oldest daughter, Rose, who rebels and runs away to escape the house, the second daughter, Violet, who turns to drugs and alcohol to escape and the youngest son, Will, who has been so brainwashed by his mother that he will believe anything she says. I think the person I felt most badly for was Douglas. His alcoholism has robbed him of his kids and his sobriety is still too new to allow him to find a way back to his kids.

It's hard for me to say I "enjoyed" the book because of the content. Abuse is not something one should say they enjoy reading about. I will instead say I really liked the book and do recommend it. The book toggles between Violet and Will as the story unfolds of what really happened the night Will was injured and what really happened to the missing Rose. I thought I had it figured out, but I really didn't. I liked that. This book is definitely one that will stay with me for a while.