The Last Time I Saw You

The Last Time I Saw You - Eleanor Moran The Last Time I Saw You is a well written and compelling story about toxic friendship. I have to admit, this book was a little hard to get into at first. I struggled a bit with the writing as a lot of the terms and slang were very British and I didn't know what some of the phrases meant. But, overall, I ended up liking the story. At its heart, the book is about toxic friendship and how long it can affect our lives.

As the story waffles between the past and the aftermath of Sally's death, we see how awful Sally treated Livvy during their friendship in college and how it affected Livvy's life. Clearly there was something wrong with Sally as she was manipulative and would pick up and drop friends on a whim. Honestly, I disliked Sally throughout the book and never had any sympathy for her even in the end. I thought that everyone who knew her was better off without her.

I felt bad for Livvy and was really rooting for her to make something else out of her life. I think that Sally's friendship really did a number on her and its aftermath did a number on Livvy. Even though it was very recent after Sally's death, I was OK with the relationship that developed between Livvy and William. For me, it made sense as they both needed to find comfort after Sally's death. I liked the end and thought the solution to the "mystery" was satisfying if not unexpected.